KIDS IN THE KITCHEN
DONE IN A DAY
CELEBRATION OF WOMEN
THE GIVING TREE
The Diaper Bank is a new project of the Junior League of Eau Claire (JLEC). Through a partnership with Feed My People, we will collect and distribute a steady supply of free diapers to poor and low income families living in Eau Claire County.
- An adequate supply of diapers can cost over $100 a month.
- In 2008, the WIC (a federal nutrition program for women, infants and children) office in Eau Claire served 3,875 clients. more than half of those clients were infants and children in diapers, however, the WIC program does not currently include diapers. In fact, no federal social safety net programs (e.g. Food Stamps, WIC) currently includes diapers.
- National statistics say that 50% of all babies born are eligible for WIC services.
- Local food pantries provide diapers to families only when they have been donated or when they are available for purchase at a low cost, which is rare.
- Most people living in poverty do not have affordable access to washing facilities, so cannot use cloth diapers. Even if they did, most coin operated Laundromats do not allow customers to wash cloth diapers for health and sanitary reasons.
- In poor and low-income families a baby can spend a day or longer in one diaper, leading to potential health and abuse risks.
- Low-income parents cannot take advantage of free or subsidized childcare if they cannot afford to leave disposable diapers at childcare centers. If parents cannot access daycare, then they are less able to attend work or school on a consistent basis. This in turn leads to increased economic instability and continuation of the cycle of poverty.
- Without transportation, buying diapers at a convenience store rather than a large retailer can double or triple the monthly cost of diapers. Many parents are already struggling to pay for rent and food and simply cannot afford the high cost of an adequate supply of diapers for their children.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
- Host a diaper drive anytime, anywhere! Ask guests at a baby shower to bring an extra gift -- a box of diapers for The Diaper Bank. Collect diapers at your next playgroup and drop the off at Feed My People.
- Contact us and reserve a collection bin for your office lobby. It's easy! All the information you need to host a diaper drive is right here in our Diaper Drive Toolkit!
- Write a check! With the money you contribute to The Diaper Bank, we can purchase diapers at a reduced cost. The more money we get, the more diapers we can purchase and distribute! Send your donation to: Junior League of Eau Claire, 316 Eau Claire St., Eau Claire, WI, 54701 with "The Diaper Bank" written in the memo.
- Join the Junior League of Eau Claire. Through projects like The Diaper Bank, we are women making a difference in our community! Be a part of something big! Contact us or find us on Facebook.